Monday, January 25, 2010

First Time's a Charm

I turned 21 yesterday. With a wife, two kids, and a mortgage, I already feel like I'm in my forties. I've been served alcohol a couple of different times, both unwanted, after joking around with a waitress. You see, I guess a ring on your finger and two kids along with you send a message that you are definitely 21. Well, until yesterday, I was not. I returned both previously mentioned beverages with my apologies (the wait staff totally missed my intensely dry sarcasm upon "ordering" alcohol for my 1 year old daughter, and assumed I was wanting it for myself- AND did not check my ID ever). Anyway, the point of my post does have something to do with coffee, at least mildly.

I have had absolutely no interest in alcohol before, especially beer. I had never swallowed any in my life until last night. My wife surprised me with a late-night party at the local micro-brewery called Flat Branch Pub & Brewery. She had a few friends there and we took advantage of the 1/2 price pizza and cheap drink menu after 10pm. A Russian friend of mine, who will remain nameless, has had a bit more experience with certain types of beverages than me, so naturally, he led the way last night. He and another fine gentleman bought me a sample order of six different brews.Honey Wheat, "Oil Change" Stout, Irish Red, Katy Trail, Brown Wheat, and Red Wheat were the specific names. Where this post becomes about coffee a bit is now. Until last night I had thought that beer was going to be a bland and uniform blanket of "blah," with no taste differences or experiences of note. I was wrong. Like coffee, I had no interest in alcohol before someone purchased it for me, allowing me to sample with no financial risk of my own. I actually began to pick out taste differences, texture qualities, and really got into it just as I have with coffee. Am I saying I'll be a regular- not even close. I actually drank the equivalent of 1 and 1/2 bottles last night over a 2 hour period, which is very minimal. I guess I'm happy I've finally realized there is a bit more to the alcohol scene than mindless drunkenness, which is a typical conclusion in a college town.

Lord, thank you for giving us a great time last night, with no need to over-indulge. Keep my head deflated and on straight. Here we go. I love you Calah.

No comments:

Post a Comment